Sunday, April 21, 2013

Koriel's Dev Blog Sunday #1


Time for our first Dev Blog Sunday!



It has been 3 weeks since our Kickstarter ended, and we’ve been delving deeper into development ever since. Since it has been 2 weeks since our last post, I feel like that merits a longer-than-normal post

School vs. Summer


Just a little heads up for the next month: 
All 3 of us are actually still in school at the moment, so this next month will be a bit slower than the summer months to come (due to schoolwork + gearing up for John and my graduation). So far we've worked very well alongside our schoolwork, but we understand that the month before graduation can be more time-consuming than we are used to.

That being said, we still plan to do as much on XING as possible for the next month, i.e. continuing to spend pretty much all of our "spare" time working on it.


Working on the new XING World Map


I've taken on the task of designing the World Map over the last couple of weeks. It will be the glue the holds together all of the levels we have designed/will design. I can honestly say this is one of the most fun things I've been able to do on the project, because I get to become 12-year old starry-eyed Koriel again - drawing fantasy lands and imagining what it would be like to visit them.

I grew up loving Lord of the Rings, studying the giant map of Middle Earth on my bedroom wall. 
My Bedroom: You can see my beloved map of Middle Earth...
I built that Helms Deep model out of foam when I was  12 :)
I also made the tiny castle on the right (behind the leopard) out of clay

Even more recently I've been sucked into the world of Game of Thrones, and have looked over that map many a time after each new episode  Now it is MY turn to design a giant map that other people will be able to study and appreciate. 

I love finding and creating new names for the different places people will visit: making sure that each name has some significance and meaning attached to it.

Here's a sneak peak at a little part of the map. Of course, it is still a work in progress, so you will see more pieces of the map and details filled in as we venture into the summer.

Iztali: (meaning) Reality is the Dream - Mayan

A couple of the statues I sculpted this week :]

They'll be used as part of the level design in our Rainforest environment.









1 comment:

  1. Great work Koriel. Was waiting to see what was in store for this weeks blog, and this is really exciting stuff. I like the map idea, it provides more depth to the game and since you have such dedication and attention to detail with the LOTR universe, I think your creativity will really show once the map is complete. BTW, those models look great, very spiritual designs going on there.

    ReplyDelete